Beating The Bounds Of Bowland
William, 16th Lord of Bowland, recently announced a new ‘perambulation’ exploring the scenic south-eastern boundary of the Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) – the first in 360 years
Hundreds of years ago, there were ‘Perambulations of Bowland’ in the 15th and 17th centuries when the Lord of Bowland’s stewards ‘beat the bounds’ mapping the extent of the forest and the land of the 10 manors within the Liberty of Bowland.
The last ‘perambulation’ – the historical meaning of perambulation is the act of walking around to establish the boundaries of a municipality – was undertaken by General George Monck, the 1st Duke of Albemarle after he was awarded the lordship of Bowland for his role in restoring Charles II to the throne in 1660.
Fast forward to the 21st century, 360 years later, and William, 16th Lord of Bowland, has unveiled a new perambulation – although this modern version is largely symbolic in the form of a guided 10-mile walk from Slaidburn with all proceeds donated to local charities.
The challenging circular explores the south-eastern extremities of Bowland, beating the bounds first established under Henry V, Lord King of Bowland (1413-22).
The route traverses the elevated pastures above the village, climbing gently to Harrop Fold, then more steeply through the woods and onto the summit of Bradford Fell.
Through voluntary donations, proceeds from the ‘perambulation’ will be split between Bowland Pennine Mountain Rescue Team and Champion Bowland, which awards small grants to help fund community schemes in the Forest of Bowland.