LET’S TAKE A RIDE
This ride through a wonderful unspoilt area takes in both, contrasting sides of the Ribble Valley and passes through several attractive and tranquil villages as well as a number of sites of historical interest
This ride is generally on the flat, with a few short climbs. This route is described from a start point at Waddington, however you could equally well start from any other point along the route such as Downham, Chatburn, Whalley or Ribchester.
Starting at Waddington car park, take the road straight ahead, passing immediately out into open country. Here you are on a section of the Lancashire Cycleway. Follow the blue signs for the next 6km (3.7 miles) until Great Mitton.
1. Possible stop off point at Bashall Barn.
2. Turn left at the T-junction.
3. Follow the main road at the next T-junction turn right, or detour left to Mitton village to see the 13th Century All Hallows church, parish church of the Shireburn family of Stonyhurst, or to visit the Three Fishes, Aspinall Arms or Mitton Hall. Continue to follow the main road through Hurst Green.
4. At the Halls Arms crossroads turn left.
5. In the centre of Ribchester turn left, although you may want to explore the village and visit the Roman Museum.
6. After leaving the village go over the bridge to cross the River Ribble, then turn immediately left, and follow another section of the Lancashire Cycleway through Dinkley, Old Langho and Billington to Whalley (follow the blue signs).
7. On leaving Whalley turn right, signposted to Oakhill College, Wiswell and Pendleton.
8. Cross the A671 with care and continue into Wiswell and Pendleton. Follow the NCN 91 signs as you drop down to the A59 from Pendleton Hall.
9. Cross the A59 with great care, and turn right after 25m onto a very quiet lane that eventually leads you back to re-cross the A59 and onto a cycle path into Worston village.
10. Turn right (signposted to Downham) along a designated Quiet Lane. In Downham, stop a while to enjoy this picturesque village with its pub and tea shop. Leave the village in the direction of Chatburn.
11. Turn left at the T junction next to Hudsons Ice Cream, and then right after the Post Office for Grindleton.
12. Turn left and follow the road back to Waddington.