Are you a land-owner and want to either self-build, complete a development or sell your land with planning approval?

At ZMA we have a number of sites within greenbelt, open countryside and Areas of Outstanding Natural Beauty across Lancashire and the Ribble Valley. Each site is unique and has its limitations. What you can do with your land is dependent on national and local planning policies associated with the site’s location. Sometimes sites next to each other will have different limitations, one site may lie within a settlement boundary and one may lie within greenbelt.It is advisable to contact a qualified consultant to provide you with guidance to understand the potential, site constraints and likelihood of gaining approval prior to making any planning submissions. At ZMA we offer a free consultation providing initial advice on land or project.

Our client base varies from families wanting to build their dream home, farmers wanting to sell land with planning approval and developers gaining approval for medium to large scale sites. The value of a site can vary from £10,000 per acre without planning approval and £100,000 per acre with planning approval. Therefore, some of our clients with no development experience opt to sell with planning approval.

If you own land which is located within a settlement boundary, or brownfield, it is likely that planning approval will be gained. Land within open countryside or greenbelt, is not as simple.

If you wish to gain approval for one dwelling to build a home, or sell with planning approval for a dwelling and your site is classed as isolated (located in countryside, outside the settlement boundary, or not located near to a village) then one or more of the following circumstances needs to apply:
• There is essential need for a rural worker, including those taking control of a farm business, to live permanently at or near their place of work
• The development would represent the optimal viable use of a heritage asset
• The development would re-use redundant or disused buildings, enhancing its setting
• The development would involve the subdivision of an existing residential dwelling or
• The design is of exceptional quality, in that it:
– Is truly outstanding or innovative, reflecting the highest standards in architecture, and would help raise standards of design in rural areas
– Would significantly enhance its immediate setting and be sensitive to the defining characteristics of the local area.

The construction of the following types of buildings can also be approved within greenbelt:
• Buildings for agriculture or forestry
• Buildings for outdoor sport or recreation
• Extensions and alterations to a building, provided that it does not result in disproportionate additions over and above the size of the original building
• Demolishing a building and constructing a new building, provided the new building is in the same use and not larger than the one it replaces
• Limited infilling within villages
• Limited affordable housing for local community needs, including rural exception sites
• Limited infilling or the partial or complete redevelopment of previously developed land, which would not have a greater impact on the openness than the existing development; or not cause substantial harm to the openness of the greenbelt.

We have different fee structures to suit each project from a percentage of the sale value, a fixed fee, or a no win no fee. Get in touch with ZMA to book your free consultation.

13 New Market Street
Colne, Lancashire BB8 9BJ
01282 908440



Tedd Walmsley

Be the first to know

To get exclusive news, be the first to know about our special offers and competitions, sign up to Live Magazines for FREE.

Tedd Walmsley managing director of Live Magazines shares his views on the latest topics in media.

Follow him on Twitter and connect with him on LinkedIn to join the conversation