WELCOME TO CHATBURN
In the shadow of Pendle Hill, Chatburn’s main road is lined with specialist shops and boutiques as well as historic landmarks and thriving local allotments
In recent years Chatburn has seen a good number of independently owned boutiques and specialist shops and businesses flourish along the main road through the village, which dates back to Anglo-Saxon times.
Florists, beauticians, fencing specialists and the renowned butcher’s shop, where queues can be seen most weekends, have all made Chatburn their home.
The village takes its name from one of the most distinguished characters of Anglo Saxon times, St Chad. The spire of the parish church, which was built around 1838 is a prominent feature in the village however in 1854 the steeple was struck by lightning but it was rebuilt in the same year.
At one time Chatburn had its own railway station but this closed in 1962.
From 1837 Bold Venture lime works and quarry provided employment for villagers. The quarry was owned by Dixon Robinson who also built the Pendle Hotel and Black Bull pubs in the village, which was bombed during the Second World War.
If you have the opportunity to drive through Chatburn do so, take time to stop and see what a thriving community this is.