School’s Out

Managing contact for children over the summer holidays can be difficult, so what’s the best plan of action?

The summer holidays are now in full flow and while many families will already have the remaining weeks planned to a tee, for some separated parents, the holidays can be a difficult and complicated time to agree a fair and suitable plan.

“The best way to deal with arrangements is to communicate positively with one another by providing each other with as much notice as possible of any holiday arrangements,” advises Angharad Bentley, family solicitor at Farleys.”

“It is important to remember that there is no law that details how much time a child should spend with either parent; the law expects both parents to make these arrangements jointly with the best interests of the children in mind.”

“With that in mind, be sure to provide information to the other parent as to where you will be staying with the children together with details of any travel dates and times. You should also agree beforehand how and when the other parent will contact the children whilst in the care of the other parent. Be sure on both sides to adhere to any arrangement reached unless of course it is an emergency situation.”

“Be prepared to negotiate and have the children’s interests in mind. After all, children benefit from a relationship with both parents and benefit emotionally when their parents appear united.”

“If you are unable to reach an agreement then a referral to mediation can be made. A mediator, who will be independent and impartial, will guide you in reaching a reasonable agreement. However, if mediation fails, or is unsuitable, as a last resort, an application can be made to the Family Court for a Specific Issue Order. The Court would consider whether any proposed arrangement would be in the best interests of the children, and if necessary would make an appropriate Order.”

“Unless there are issues surrounding the return of the children, the Court is likely to agree that a holiday abroad is certainly something that the children would enjoy. It will above all allow them to spend quality time with the parent in question. However, if safeguards are necessary, the Court can place these within an Order to protect the children.”

For further advice or assistance with resolving holiday arrangements, get in touch with an experienced family solicitor who can talk you through your options

Farleys has offices on Winckley Square in Preston and across the north west

For more information please visit: or call 01254 368040



Tedd Walmsley

Be the first to know

To get exclusive news, be the first to know about our special offers and competitions, sign up to Live Magazines for FREE.

Tedd Walmsley managing director of Live Magazines shares his views on the latest topics in media.

Follow him on Twitter and connect with him on LinkedIn to join the conversation